Cosburn celebrated their final worship service on June 17, 2018.
Early in 1933, the Toronto Home Mission Council purchased a piece of property on Cosburn Avenue at Greenwood Avenue. Although it did not initially look like an ideal location for a church, The Rev. James A. Miller, who was then the Superintendent of Missions for the Toronto District, had faith the area would not remain undeveloped for long, and in February 1933 he arranged to have a portable building moved to the site.
The first event held there was a Sunday School service, on Saturday March 5th, 1933. This was followed a week later by the first church service, on March 12th, with about a dozen people attending.
From 1933 to late 1942, with Rev. Miller in charge of services, the portable building served as the place of worship. However, when the population of the area began to grow, the Toronto Home Mission Council met with the Church Board, with a view to erecting a permanent building. On December 6th, 1941, the cornerstone of the new building was laid, and the church was completed and dedicated in September 1942.
In 1944, Rev. Miller retired from active church work, and in July Rev. Alfred F. Binnington accepted the position of minister. Under his direction, the church grew both in membership and financial strength, becoming self-supporting by 1946 and debt-free by 1950. The growth led to the need for an enlargement of the facility, resulting in the construction of a vestry and transept on the eastern side of the church, and several Sunday School rooms in the basement. Dedication of the new space took place in September 1952.
When Rev. Binnington was replaced by Rev. Earl A. Nichol in 1952, a manse was erected at the rear of the church to provide suitable quarters for him. This was also completed and dedicated in September of 1952.
Further growth necessitated more expansion, and a Building Committee began its work in 1956 with fundraising and the planning of a new Christian Education building. The sod was turned on May 24th, 1959, and the building was completed and ready for occupancy in January 1960. Its dedication took place on February 28th, 1960.
Cosburn celebrated their final worship service on June 17, 2018. The congreagtion officially amalgamated with Glen Rhodes and Eastminster in July 2018.