The present congregation traces its roots to three different churches: Rhodes Avenue Presbyterian Church had its start in the rapidly growing East End of Toronto in 1906 as a mission (sponsored by Bloor Street Presbyterian Church). Initially meeting in a tent, then a small building, the corner-stone for the present building was laid in 1926, and the sanctuary was dedicated in 1927. It became a United Church upon church union in 1925. The Glen part of the name comes from Glenmount Methodist Church, and later, a United Church, begun 1911. Glenmount and Rhodes Avenue amalgamated in 1984 to form Glen Rhodes United Church. In 1991, the congregation of Simpson Avenue United Church, which began in 1899 as Howland Avenue Methodist Church, joined the fold.