East End United Regional Ministry
Job Title Music Director
Reports to Minister - with a dotted reporting line to the Faith Committee
Annual Review Minister & Designated M & P Liaison
To work in collaboration with the minister, choir, and other musicians (whether volunteer or paid) to facilitate and enliven worship and congregational life with meaningful music and congregational engagement with music. To make connections with leadership of Danforth Multifaith Commons and other community organizations to create music together and amplify our presence and connections in our broader communities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Worship Leadership & Planning (70%)
- Collaborates with the minister and faith committee in developing liturgical themes, musical content, and in integrating other forms of artistic expression
- Selects music for worship in collaboration and consultation with minister
- Facilitates music in worship - congregational singing, leads choir, and other musicians as appropriate
- Occasionally may serve as soloist
- Accompanies choir and congregation on piano (and potentially organ) during worship
- Encourages volunteer participation in music-making (vocal, piano, organ, drum, guitar, etc.)
- Required to work for all Advent/Christmas & Lenten/Easter Congregational Events.
- Explores a broad range of musical styles in worship and other community events
- Oversees music purchasing and copyright/licensing administration for EEURM
- Assist with technical aspects of hybrid services, e.g., basic camera operation, streaming live worship services via zoom and other platforms, sound boards, theatre lighting, video editing, etc.
- Prepares a report for the Annual General Meeting
Other Program initiatives (15%)
- Develops plan for music initiatives outside of worship context to create links with the broader community in consultation and collaboration with Danforth Multifaith Commons, and other ecumenical and community partners
- Establishes/strengthens community ties between congregations both within EEURM, and with ecumenical and multi-faith partners
- Directs musical participation in outreach events in the broader community
- Identifies and explores new initiatives in consultation with congregational leadership and community partners
Management and resource planning (15%)
- Works with allocated budget to determine appropriate resources needed to meet EEURM’s music ministry
- In consultation with M & P, prepares and manages contracts for occasional musicians as supported by budget
- Ensures regular communication with choir members, minister, and other staff and volunteers as appropriate.
- Recommends to the BOB (Building Operations Board) instrument maintenance (pianos and organs) and oversees such maintenance.
- Demonstrated experience and excellence as music director, choir director and accompanist for churches
- Alignment with the identity, values, goals and faith commitments of EEURM and the United Church of Canada
- Experience and passion for linking theology to musical programming
- Understands and supports music as an expression of faith and a medium for building community, and demonstrates passion for this through their leadership style
- Proven ability to organize, coordinate, and motivate musicians, choir members and the congregation in music making.
- Strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills
- Dependable, responsible, self-motivated, creative and kind
- Good-humoured with a sense of fun
- Bachelor’s degree in Music or Theology or equivalent experience
- Minimum 3+ years’ experience in church-related settings preferred
- 15+ hours (flexible hours to meet job requirements)
- Sunday morning worship.
- Choir currently meets Thursday evenings
- Occasional special congregational or broader community events as planned
- Works holidays, such as Easter and Christmas
- Will be required to have a vulnerable sector check
- Shared office space with option to work remotely as negotiated
- Successful candidate can negotiate to be an employee with benefits or work as an independent contractor
- Total Compensation Budget is $24,000/year.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com